Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Visit to Centerville










Today Stan and I went to the old Centerville house with the Nielsen family. I was surprised at the emotions and memories that surfaced. I remember my brother Victor teaching me to do the bosanova, for a 4th grade dance contest. I remember rolling in victors blue bug and having the neighbor tell mom what a bad kid i'd been. I remember my only spanking from Dad. I remember Dad returning home with the new cadillac! I remember mom catching me ditching in Victors old Chevy (that never ran and was parked in the back). I remember the tornado that picked up little Melody while Grace and I held her down. I remember Christine wearing white lipstick and having very long nails. I remember Charles picking cherries and selling them as the business man. I remember not wanting to eat the pet goats that dad had butchered. Oh the fun of these family memories. I tried to explain to my family that it was not quite so cute, yet it is beautiful today. We took a picture of the plaque that is posted on the front porch - no mention on the wonderful Victor Cannon family that lived in the home from 1965 - 1969! I love this family that I grew up with ... what a wonderful life with Mom, Dad, Victor, Charles, Christine & Melody. I thank each of you for the great siblings that you each have been, I have been influenced in great ways from each of you. I am so blessed to have you as my family. Please know that I love you each dearly. Isabelle

3 comments:

  1. I love you too Isabelle~I feel like you...so grateful for our wonderful family....we always loved and supported eachother...and still do!
    Wish I could have been there with you for a trip down memory lane...it's amazing all the memories I have from that home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isabelle! Love You! Thanks for posting this. Yes the old chevy ran only once, our Uncle Charles and I never got it going again (it was a 49 2 seat coupe, very cool, but...). I remember the goats too, when times get tough it is great to have a few pets, remember the ducks? They were tasty too. Our duck's days were over one winter. She took her babies across the street to do their duck business on the bishop's back porch, the one they used to get to cars, tractors in bad weather. The bishop asked me to come over, and sure enough there was frozen duck business all over his porch. Very slippery, and dangerous for his family to get out of the house! The ducks didn't make as many meals as the goat. As I recall Omi''s trick was long slow cooking and a few tasty herbs. The grouchy goat only liked Opi anyway.

    I think I have a few more pictures from that period, I'll post them this summer.

    Love Victor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isabelle,
    How fun to see these pictures of your family all these years later. What a wonderful home in Centerville. I love reading and seeing the pictures of your wonderful family. I have so many good memories of you and your family in San Pedro in that beautiful home on 40th Street. Glad you left a comment so I can check in from time to time. Love you,
    Shelly Hansen Carter

    ReplyDelete